So far this week we have focused a lot on Using Positive Feedback and Encouragement through the following:
- Contingent on appropriate behavior
- Conveyed with enthusiasm
To add onto this strategy today include a focus on giving directions. Did you know that in early childhood, research shows that children have high rates of not following teacher directions! Increase your odds by doing the following:
Challenge: Giving Directions
- Make sure you have the children’s attention before you give the direction.
- Minimize the number of directions given to children.
- Individualize the way directions are given.
- Give clear directions.
- Give directions that are positive.
- Give children the opportunity to respond to a direction.
- When appropriate, give the child choices and options for following directions.
- Follow through with positive acknowledgment of children’s behavior.