To start off 2016 my Voxer group had a challenge-to start getting into classrooms more while still having ‘balance’ between school and home. I love being in classrooms, however I also love having time away from work at night so I can focus on being a better mom and wife this year. So that is where mobile office comes into play. This week I have had ‘office hours’ in 6 different classrooms.
Some of the office duties included:
- Reviewing Minnesota State Standards while watching students identify #’s 6-10 during independent work.
- Reading an article on Development Play skills while enjoying a music lesson in our preK classroom.
- Writing up a coding class proposal while learning about new app’s on the iPad from a friend in the Blue Otter classroom.
- Checking and responding to email while supporting a few students in finishing up color matching activities.
- Helping students get organized for independent writing.
What I have learned so far:
- Students now know that even adults have work to do 🙂
- I am borrowing a lot of ideas for proactive behavior strategies that I can use when I start teaching that coding class.
- I am not overwhelmed when I come back into the office in answering emails/etc. as I can keep tabs on them while in classrooms.
- Teachers like having an extra hand on deck to help support students who might need a little extra help.
- I can get many more tweets out sharing our school day when immersed in the classrooms.
This year my #oneword was BETTER-which is fitting as I am learning new ways to have BETTER balance between the responsibilities of school and home-while have a total blast in classrooms.
Keep Thinking Big for our Littlest Learners!