So a week of *gasp* one hour off social media/phone/tablet/iPad/iPod/computer how did you do? Was it painful? Were you in a panic? How about day 5 or 6-did it get better or worse?
Regardless-we are moving on to Step Two: 12 hours of limited connectivity. Think of this as a ‘vacay in the mountains’ where cell phone reception is limited to climbing some of the tallest trees or waiting until you come back down and your phone explodes with tweets/posts/texts/voicemails and tags.
Here is how it will work:
- Choose the day of the week (I use Sundays)
- At a certain time in the morning remove notification tones from all social media/emails/etc.. For help with this click on one of these links: Turn off push notifications iPhone Turn off notifications on an Android
- Do not open/look/peek/sneak/ask your BFF to look for you at any messages for 12 hours.
- If you have to-hide your phone. I left mine in another room and just had the ringer on in case I received a phone call.
- ENOY THE DAY! Go for a walk, read a book, go grocery shopping, watch a movie without a device stuck to your hand.
It might be hard at first-but I promise you-the pay off will be worth it.